Arizona Program Associate
About Solar United Neighbors
Solar United Neighbors is a national 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone, with rooftop solar at the cornerstone. SUN helps people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
SUN operates robust grassroots programs in 11 states and Washington, D.C. Each state SUN program works to build an engaged network of solar advocates and supporters through solar education, events, advocacy, and local solar bulk-purchase programs (aka solar co-ops). Since 2009, SUN has facilitated more than 6,200 individual solar installations totaling over 52 MW of solar PV capacity.
SUN has operated in Arizona since 2019, directly facilitating more than 1.8 MW of solar PV capacity across the state on more than 230 households. SUN’s Arizona Program holds a leadership role in the state’s clean energy ecosystem, developing and leading strategic policy initiatives and collaborating with diverse partner organizations to deploy advocacy campaigns, educational programming and pilot projects to expand solar access to a greater number of Arizona families.
Solar United Neighbors is rapidly growing as an organization, and the work environment is fast-paced. This is an ideal opportunity for someone looking to dive in and contribute to the growth of a dynamic non-profit. We work hard, get things done, and have fun doing it!
About the position
The Arizona Program Associate will work closely with the Arizona Program Director to carry out Solar United Neighbor’s goals in the state.
Job duties include the following, as well as additional responsibilities that may arise over the course of the year and in coordination with the Arizona State Director:
- Plan and implement solar co-ops, including cultivating partner relationships, engaging with the media, conducting public information sessions, communicating with and supporting solar co-op members, facilitating the installer selection process, and managing installer relationships with co-op members and SUN.
- Provide technical assistance to individuals and entities interested in going solar.
- Engage with energy regulators, utilities, legislators, local governments, and partner organizations to advance the state program’s policy and programmatic goals.
- Assist in the development and implementation of pilot programs seeking to expand solar access to households and other utility customers currently left out of the solar energy market.
- Create resources and author timely content to provide in-depth information on relevant solar topics and help our Arizona members become more effective and informed advocates for solar.
- Represent the Arizona Program in coalitions and at in-person and digital events.
- Grow and facilitate ongoing public education and volunteer engagement through regular communications, public-facing events, and leadership development that support the state program’s policy and programmatic goals.
This position will report to the Arizona Program Director.
Position will be located in Arizona. In-state location flexible. Remote with frequent in-state travel.
Salary and benefits
Salary range $40,000 – $50,000 per year commensurate with experience. Generous paid leave policy, health insurance, and professional development stipend including health insurance, 401(k) retirement account, professional development, flexible work hours, and remote work options.
How to apply
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and those with a non-traditional education.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and how you heard about this job to Bret Fanshaw at [email protected].