Millions of Americans have installed solar on their homes. Tens of millions more want to. We’re looking for a creative, detail oriented digital director to turn these millions into a powerful community of solar supporters at our fast-growing non-profit organization. A top candidate will have proven skills and a passion for using digital tools and innovative strategy to motivate people to act.
The Director will help us grow and strengthen relationships with our community of solar supporters. They’ll work with the Communications and Advocacy teams to develop and execute creating digital engagement campaigns that drive action on key solar policy issues. They’ll monitor and improve our website, digital communication, and social media performance and optimize the functionality of our digital infrastructure and ecosystem.
Digital Director Responsibilities:
- Develop, oversee, and implement a strategic digital plan, including KPIs, that matches SUN’s organizational vision by innovating and testing to learn what digital tools and practices are most effective in meeting our goals
- Implement and improve our digital planning practices so that vectors including email, broadcast and peer-to-peer texting, action pages, social media, listservs, and other platforms are coordinated and deliver creative, motivating content
- Examine, implement, and coordinate systems related to digital work across the organization and provide training where necessary
- Design and evaluate list growth and maintenance campaigns and initiatives. This includes developing and testing a variety of strategies for list building and engagement, analyzing data and results of tests, and providing strategic recommendations in order to facilitate major list growth and increased engagement
- Manage our email list via Salesforce, craft emails using Pardot, and use a data-informed analytic approach to develop our targeted communications tactics in an audience-focused manner
- Draft, edit, Q&A, test, and optimize emails, forms, text scripts, website copy, petitions and other digital assets to increase traffic & conversions
- Support with development and infrastructure building of a distributed organizing program in coordination with other directors
- Draft and edit training guides, presentations, templates, toolkits, text scripts, online programs and videos to support members and activists to take action
- Develop and execute digital engagement campaigns that drive action on key solar policy issues.
- Manage SUN’s digital presence and web content.
- Ensure the efficiency and optimization of the digital ecosystem through SEO, SEM, and SMO.
- Monitor and interpret digital analytics.
- Integrate latest digital advocacy strategies and advancement into our work.
Digital Director Requirements:
- Six years of experience in advertising, digital strategy and media, or similar.
- Cutting-edge knowledge and experience leveraging online tools and resources to motivate and influence solar communities, including a demonstrated ability to combine online and offline activism.
- A talent for telling short and powerful stories that engages readers, shifts a narrative, and inspires people to take action online
- Experience managing digital campaigns across platforms. Pardot and Salesforce knowledge are preferred.
- Proficiency in digital marketing and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager, and other analysis tools.
- Good understanding of WordPress.
- Familiarity with all major social media networks including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, and YouTube.
- Excellent understanding of digital practices such as SEO, SEM, SMO, and PPC.
- Adaptable, versatile, and the ability to keep up to date with digital and marketing trends and advancements in technology.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytic abilities.
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
About the Organization
Solar United Neighbors is a nonprofit that organizes local communities across the United States to go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights. We’re growing fast — expanding into new states, building new partnerships, and offering new services. We have 30+ staff members working across the country (and growing each year).
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and those with a non-traditional education.
About the Position
You’ll report to the Senior Director of Communications, and work with a committed and creative team of renewable energy leaders, policy wonks, digital marketers, and community organizers on projects with ambitious goals and national impact.
This position can be located anywhere in the United States. If you’re in the D.C. area, our office is in a bright, sunlit building directly above the Dupont Circle metro station. If you live somewhere else, we have Slack and video conferencing to keep us connected.
The salary range is $60,000 to $90,000, or commensurate with experience, with a bunch of benefits, including health insurance, 401(k) retirement account, professional development, flexible work hours, and remote work options.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to Ben Delman at: [email protected]
Please include the title “Digital Director” in the subject line.
1350 Connecticut Avenue Northwest, Suite 412, Washington, DC 20036