Ohio Program Associate
About Solar United Neighbors
Solar United Neighbors is a national 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone, with rooftop solar at the cornerstone. SUN helps people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
SUN operates robust grassroots programs in 11 states and Washington, D.C. Each state SUN program works to build an engaged network of solar advocates and supporters through solar education, events, advocacy, and local solar bulk-purchase programs (aka solar co-ops). Since 2009, SUN has facilitated more than 6,200 individual solar installations totaling over 51 MW of solar PV capacity.
SUN has operated continuously in Ohio since 2016, directly facilitating more than 350 solar installations and over 3MW of solar PV capacity across the state. SUN’s Ohio program holds a leadership role in the state’s clean energy ecosystem, developing and leading strategic policy initiatives and successful coalition-driven advocacy campaigns as well as robust local programming and educational activities throughout the state.
SUN is growing, and the work environment is fast-paced. This is an ideal opportunity for someone looking to dive in and contribute to the growth of a dynamic non-profit. We work hard, get things done, and have fun doing it!
About the position
The Ohio Program Associate works closely with the Ohio State Director to directly carry out SUN’s goals for its Ohio program.
Job duties include the following, as well as additional responsibilities that may arise over the course of the year and in coordination with the Ohio State Director:
- Plan and implement solar co-ops, including cultivating partner relationships, engaging with the media, conducting public info sessions, communicating with and supporting co-op members, facilitating the installer selection process, and managing installer relationships with co-op members and SUN.
- Conduct policy, regulatory, and market research to support the state program’s goals.
- Engage with legislators, local governments, and partner organizations to advance the state program’s policy and programmatic goals.
- Provide technical assistance to individuals and entities interested in going solar.
- Collaborate with Solar United Neighbors’ engagement team to design and implement a volunteer engagement program for Solar United Neighbors of Ohio.
- Collaborate with Solar United Neighbors’ IT and communications team, maintaining online web infrastructure for the Ohio section of SUN’s website, including authoring timely content, to provide in-depth information on relevant solar topics while encouraging public engagement in SUN’s network.
- Create resources to help our Ohio members become more effective and informed advocates for solar.
- Represent the Ohio Program on policy coalitions and at in-person and digital events.
- Plan and execute public-facing events that support the state program’s policy and programmatic goals.
This position will report to the Ohio Program Director.
Ohio. Work from home, within Ohio, with frequent in-state travel.
Salary and benefits
Salary range $40,000 – $50,000 per year commensurate with experience. Generous paid leave policy, health insurance, and professional development stipend including health insurance, 401(k) retirement account, professional development, flexible work hours, and remote work options.
How to apply
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and those with a non-traditional education.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Tristan Rader at [email protected]