Solar United Neighbors is changing the world by creating an energy system that’s inclusive and equitable — with rooftop solar power as the cornerstone. We organize local communities across the United States to go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights. We’re growing fast — expanding into new states, building new partnerships, and offering new services.
We’re searching for an Operations Associate with a deep attention to detail who believes in our mission, who wants to help us grow, and who wants to grow with us.
What’s the job?
The Operations Associate works closely with the Chief Operating Officer to ensure Solar United Neighbors is a fantastic place to work and is efficient, well-run and compliant with all State and Federal rules and regulations. They implement programs and initiatives that make life easier for everyone in the organization. They also expand SUN’s institutional capacity to do great work. The Operations Associate needs to understand all of our core systems while being able to communicate clearly and effectively. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Job duties include the following, as well as additional responsibilities that may arise over the course of the year and in coordination with the Chief Operating Officer:
- Monitor mail and all package deliveries. Manage the physical space of the building and facilities-related needs in D.C. and state offices. This includes interacting with the building management, managing repairs and improvements to the space, furniture or equipment as needed, and coordinating with local staff.
- Procure and distribute supplies and materials for the organization, including office supplies, engagement materials, and other supplies needed for the effective implementation of Headquarters and state programming.
- Make bank deposits, track cash flow in physical bank accounts, participate in accounting meetings and ensure detailed and consistent record keeping and tracking across the organization. Identify gaps or irregularities in information management and systems as observed. Serve as the point of contact for staff credit card inquiries and expense report submission and assists staff to make accurate and timely entries into their time cards (ADP) and expense reimbursements (Certify).
- Maintain records on external contracting with firms and consultants – ensuring proper documentation in place and invoices are sent to Accounting in a timely manner.
- Research training needs and opportunities for staff and, in coordination with the Chief Operating Officer, organize and implement staff training opportunities as needed.
- Regularly communicate with staff on updates in systems, benefits, timekeeping, or other things they need to know.
- Monitor Operations slack channel and Asana requests to ensure timely response to all inquiries and requests for assistance.
Staff on-boarding/off-boarding and benefits
- Manage the administration of employee on-boarding, including processing paperwork, enrolling new hires in applicable benefits programs, and setting up new hires in systems for payroll, timesheets, and expense reports.
- Manage administration of employee benefits, including enrolling or un-enrolling staff from benefits programs, serving as the point of contact, answering staff questions about benefits, ensuring up-to-date information about SUN benefits is available to staff, and that SUN is complying with all applicable regulations around benefits administration.
- Manage procurement and renewals of insurance policies, employee benefits, and other offerings as needed.
- Manage administration of employee off-boarding, including providing COBRA letters, managing vacation payouts, closing out the individual from payroll and expense report systems, and updating internal records.
- Support the Accounting department in training new and existing staff on processes for timesheets, expense reports, reimbursements, and installer invoice follow up.
- Maintain employment records and respond to employment verification requests as needed.
- Manage all record keeping for the organization, physical and digital, and ensure all documentation is up-to-date, including employee handbook, Inti (our internal Wiki), master database of employee contact information, passwords and banking information, HR files, and other data necessary to the effective running of the organization.
- Ensure Solar United Neighbors meets all legal requirements for document retention from federal, state and local governments, IRS, donors, and other entities.
- Ensure all necessary business, charitable registrations, and HR policies are up-to-date and in compliance with all regulations. This includes coordinating with Human Resources team members or consultants as needed.
Plan fun stuff
- Implement logistics for staff travel, special events and bi-annual retreats. (i.e. trainings, regional meetings, etc), and other needs in a timely manner.
- Research and develop options for locations, carefully review and compare options, travel, activities. Assist senior management on successful implementation.
- Support the Chief Operating Officer on special projects or initiatives as needed.
Position will be located in Washington D.C.
Salary and benefits
Salary range $45,000 – $55,000 per year commensurate with experience. Generous paid leave policy, health insurance, and professional development stipend including health insurance, 401(k) retirement account, professional development, flexible work hours, and remote work options.
How to apply
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and those with a non-traditional education.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and how you heard about this job to Angela DeMonbreun at [email protected].