Virginia Program Associate
Solar United Neighbors is a national 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone, with rooftop solar at the cornerstone. SUN helps people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
SUN works across the country and operates robust grassroots programs in 12 states. Each state SUN program works to build an engaged network of solar advocates and supporters through solar education, events, advocacy, and local solar bulk-purchase programs (aka solar co-ops). Since 2009, SUN has facilitated more than 6,000 individual solar installations totaling more than 51 MW of solar PV capacity.
SUN has operated continuously in Virginia since 2013, directly facilitating more than 1,000 solar installations and over 7.8 MW of solar PV capacity across the state. SUN’s Virginia program holds a leadership role in the state’s clean energy ecosystem, developing and leading strategic policy initiatives and successful coalition-driven advocacy campaigns as well as robust local programming and educational activities throughout the state.
SUN is growing, and the work environment is fast-paced. This is an ideal opportunity for someone looking to dive in and contribute to the growth of a dynamic non-profit. We work hard, get things done, and have fun doing it!
About the position
The Virginia Program Associate works closely with the Atlantic Southeast Regional Director to directly carry out SUN’s goals for its Virginia program.
Job duties include the following, as well as additional responsibilities that may arise over the course of the year and in coordination with the Atlantic Southeast Regional Director:
- Plan and implement solar co-ops and other Go Solar programs. This includes cultivating partner relationships, conducting public info sessions and external communications, supporting co-op members, facilitating the installer selection process, and managing installer relationships.
- Provide technical assistance and resources to individuals and entities interested in going solar and/or adopting modern grid technology like battery storage and electric vehicle chargers.
- Identify policy opportunities and obstacles engaging our network, legislators, local governments, and partner organizations to advance Virginia policy goals.
- Represent the Virginia Program in policy coalitions and at public-facing, in-person, and digital events.
- Collaborate with Solar United Neighbors’ engagement team to grow our volunteer engagement program building our power and capacity in the state.
- Maintain, monitor, and contribute to online resources including our state listserv, website, and social media to provide in-depth information on relevant solar topics while encouraging public engagement in SUN’s network.
- Create resources and execute public-facing events to help our Virginia members become more effective and informed advocates for solar while supporting the state’s policy and programmatic goals.
This position will report to the Atlantic Southeast Regional Director.
Virginia. Remote with frequent in-state travel when it is safe to do so.
Salary & Benefits
Salary range $40,000 -$50,000 per year commensurate with experience. Generous paid leave policy, health insurance, and professional development stipend included.
How to Apply
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and those with a non-traditional education.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Aaron Sutch at [email protected].