Manager of Operations
Solar United Neighbors is changing the world by creating an energy system that’s inclusive and equitable — with rooftop solar power as the cornerstone. We organize local communities across the United States to go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights. We’re growing fast — expanding into new states, building new partnerships, and offering new services.
We’re searching for a Manager of Operations who believes in our mission, who wants to help us grow, and who wants to grow with us.
What’s the job?
The Manager of Operations works closely with the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer to ensure Solar United Neighbors is a fantastic place to work and is efficient, well-run and compliant with all State and Federal rules and regulations. They implement programs and initiatives that make life easier for everyone in the organization, and they also expand SUN’s institutional capacity to do great work. In addition, the Manager of Operations develops, plans, and administers policies relating to all phases of human resources activity for the organization.
Some of the specific job tasks will include (but are not limited to):
- Ensuring all necessary business, charitable registrations, and HR policies are up-to-date and in compliance with all regulations. This includes interfacing with external HR consultants as needed.
- Managing procurement and renewals of insurance policies, employee benefits, program materials, and other needs.
- Regularly reviewing procurement processes and constantly identifying and implementing cost saving measures for the organization in all aspects.
- Managing the administration of employee onboarding, offboarding, and benefits, and providing ongoing HR staff support as needed.
- Researching training needs and opportunities for staff and, in coordination with the Chief Operating Officer, organizing staff training opportunities as needed.
- Providing financial controls for the organization by managing bank deposits, tracking cashflow in physical bank accounts, participating in accounting meetings and highlighting irregularities/raises concerns around money management as needed.
- Training new and existing staff on internal SUN systems related to expense reporting, payroll, installer invoicing, and other processes.
- Supporting the Chief Operating Officer on special projects or initiatives as needed.
Skills and experience
We are seeking someone with work experience in some (or all) of the following areas:
- Operations management
- Office management
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Depending on the candidate, this will be either a full-time or part-time position. Most of our staff work across the country, so we welcome both DC-based and remote candidates. If you’re in the D.C. area, our offices are located in a bright, sunlit building directly above the Dupont Circle metro station. If you live somewhere else, we have Slack and video conferencing to keep us connected.
We welcome candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQi, differently abled, and those with a non-traditional education.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our organization. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Benefits and Compensation
The salary range for this position is $30,000-$40,000. Benefits include health insurance, 403(b) retirement account, professional development, generous leave, and flexible work hours.
How To Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to Angela DeMonbreun at [email protected], and include the title “Manager of Operations” in the subject line.
1350 Connecticut Avenue Northwest, Suite 412, Washington, DC 20036