DC SUN, a program of Community Power Network, is dedicated to solar being accessible and affordable for every resident of Washington DC. We help homeowners form solar co-ops and become owners, investors, and stakeholders in the solar economy. DC SUN has been chosen by the District Department of Energy and the Environment (DOEE) to implement a single-family low-income solar program that will help over 230 low-income families go solar over the next 18 months.
In additional to our work in the District, CPN implements state programs in MD, VA, WV, OH, and FL. A core component of our state programs is to facilitate neighborhood solar co-ops. The basic approach is to gather homeowners, or businesses together and help them go solar as a group. By forming a group, participants can save up to 20% off the cost of the installation. We also support co-op members through the decision-making process, creating a group dynamic that helps more people go solar, and we engage in policy work that improves and strengthens the solar market for everybody.
About the Position
The Director will implement solar co-op programs in D.C. and conduct extensive communications, outreach, press, and trainings around creating an accessible, affordable solar market in the District. We believe in a distributed model of leadership and work to train and empower many local leaders in the District, with the Program Director supporting these efforts. Focus areas include:
- Develop and implement solar co-ops in neighborhoods across the District, working to ensure that all District residents have access to solar. As a grant recipient of DOEE’s new Solar for All program, DC SUN will focus particular efforts on helping low-income homeowners go solar via solar co-ops.
- Conduct extensive education and outreach on newly passed community solar regulations and newly created Solar for All program, working to ensure that all District residents are knowledgable of the program and able to participate if they are eligible.
- Conduct outreach to community partners and key District stakeholders to recruit eligible participants to our neighborhood solar co-ops
- Attend community and stakeholder meetings
- Ensure the successful implementation of the Solar for All program
- Develop and engage a citizen-led board for DC SUN’s programs
- Provide technical assistance to District residents, businesses, and organizations interested in going solar
- Organize annual DC Solar Congress, open to all interested District residents, to provide information on key solar programming in the District and how to get involved.
- Maintain online web infrastructure for the DC SUN website, to include in-depth information on solar basics, as well as serve as an invaluable resource and forum for policy discussions and citizen engagement.
CPN seeks a full-time Director to implement the above work. CPN will provide strategic oversight and support, including supporting the use of our organization-wide Salesforce contact management database and shared materials. The Director will function as part of the CPN team to deploy the solar co-ops. The Director will be responsible for hosting information meetings and meeting with co-op members, including a number of evening meetings.
Qualified applicants will have at least five years work experience, a strong understanding of effective organizing techniques, deeps roots within the DC community, an ability to develop relationships with community members and organizations, and a strong motivation to help grow this program. Strong writing and verbal presentation skills essential. Interest in working collaboratively in a team environment required. Experience with online CRMs, solar basics, and solar project development a plus.
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter to https://www.solarunitedneighbors.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/nancy-HOA-1.jpg at [email protected].