Update: This position has now been filled.
About Community Power Network
Community Power Network is dedicated to the vision that if a large and diverse number of people have a financial stake in the clean energy economy, they will fight for it. By building, demonstrating, promoting, and advocating for ways for people to financially benefit from clean energy, we build a broad new constituency for change.
In addition to our national work, CPN implements state programs in Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, and Florida. We are growing rapidly. A core component of our state programs is facilitating neighborhood bulk purchases of solar PV systems. Known as “solar co-ops”, we gather homeowners, farmers, or businesses together and help them go solar as a group. By forming a group through our co-op process, participants are able to receive the most competitive bid while having the one-on-one support from neutral solar experts. We support co-op members through the decision-making process, creating a group dynamic that helps more people go solar. We also engage in policy and advocacy campaigns and have extensive efforts to engage and educate the public on the issue of distributed solar. Our policy efforts help expand solar markets, creating a more equitable, accessible, and affordable energy system.
Community Power Network is a fun, dynamic, and fast evolving work environment where an individual with drive and creativity can make a real difference.
The Communications Coordinator will assist with all aspects of the organization’s communications activities and report to the Communications Director. As part of a two-person team you will have broad and diverse responsibilities including: developing content for the organization’s various web and social media platforms and promoting the organization’s solar co-ops and membership program. The coordinator’s initial project work will focus on support for our pending website re-design set for early October. Once the website goes live, the Communications Coordinator will transition to provide communications support for a select number of state programs.
Specific tasks will include:
- Uploading content to our new WordPress based website.
- Managing the communications calendar for active solar co-ops in assigned states.
- Overseeing a regular communications flow that includes monthly newsletters, social media posts, and informational materials to a rapidly growing universe of 35,000 solar supporters.
- Executing outreach and marketing plans for solar co-ops.
- Developing and implementing external communications to recruit new participants into solar co-ops, including email blasts, social media posts, and earned media.
- Helping produce monthly email updates for each state network about important work that is happening in the state.
- Ensuring website content for program area is up-to-date.
- Posting updates on each state network’s news feed and listservs to highlight our work.
- Monitoring news about CPN and other relevant content to post to listservs, websites, etc.
- Supporting communications design and structure for occasional advocacy campaigns.
- Developing and implementing external communications plans to recruit supporters for solar advocacy campaigns.
- Pitching stories, issuing press releases, and implementing an earned media strategy for our work.
Strong candidates will:
- Have at least three years of relevant professional experience.
- Have experience implementing communications or marketing campaigns.
- Have excellent writing and editing skills.
- Have proficiency with WordPress or similar content management systems.
- Be comfortable juggling multiple initiatives and working on tight deadlines.
- Feel confident and able to pitch stories to reporters and earn paid media.
- Be comfortable working in a dynamic, growing environment.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to: email@example.com.