Northern Indiana Field Organizer
Solar United Neighbors is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, and resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We believe rooftop solar will be the cornerstone of that new energy system. We help people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights. We are a national organization with robust grassroots programs in 12 states, and we are quickly expanding our on-the-ground work. We’re building an army of solar advocates and supporters by promoting solar through education, events, advocacy, and local solar installation bulk-purchase programs (aka solar co-ops).
Our organization is growing, and the work environment is fast-paced. This is an ideal workplace for someone looking to dive in and contribute to the growth of a dynamic non-profit. Since 2009 we’ve facilitated more than 5,200 individual solar installations and 42 MW of solar PV capacity. We work hard, get things done, and have fun doing it!
The Northern Indiana Field Organizer is responsible for growing the Solar United Neighbors of Indiana network throughout northern Indiana to help facilitate our clean energy transition. The Field Organizer will work with our Indiana Team to educate the public about the benefits of rooftop solar, help homeowners and business owners throughout northern Indiana install solar through our solar co-ops, and organize northern Indiana’s grassroots solar movement to build the political power we need to pass pro-solar federal, state, and local policies.
Qualified applicants will have at least two years of relevant work or volunteer experience, a strong understanding of effective organizing techniques, an ability to develop relationships with community members and organizations, and strong motivation to help grow this program. Solar knowledge is not required, but prior experience will be favorably considered.
This position will be a one-year appointment through the end of calendar year 2021, with the possibility to renew depending on funding availability.
This position will report to the Indiana Program Director.
Duties will include:
- Leading successful solar co-ops around the region by:
- Working with existing organizational partners and cultivating new partnerships to develop successful solar co-ops
- Planning, promoting, and facilitating events
- Delivering public solar 101 presentations
- Assisting with facilitating solar installer selection through a competitive bidding process
- Tracking co-op progress via our Salesforce platform
- Recruiting, nurturing, and empowering individual volunteers from around the region and tracking volunteer interest and engagement via our Salesforce platform
- Building political power for Indiana’s solar movement by engaging and organizing solar owners and supporters
- Regular participation in remote team meetings and in-person retreats
- Frequent travel around the region and state
- Other duties as necessary
- Passionate about renewable energy and social justice
- Previous organizing experience (volunteer accepted)
- Attention to detail
- Self-starter and comfortable working in a remote team environment
- Love working with diverse groups of people
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) (familiarity with other digital tools or programming suites a plus)
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Previous knowledge of / experience with solar energy is a plus, but not required (on-the-job training is expected)
Remote in northern Indiana.
The salary range for this position is $35,000 – $45,000. Benefits include health insurance, 403(b) retirement account, professional development budget, generous vacation and leave, and flexible work hours.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Zach Schalk at [email protected], and include the title “Northern Indiana Field Organizer” in the subject line.