Ohio Outreach and Education Coordinator
Solar United Neighbors is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, and resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We believe rooftop solar will be the cornerstone of that new energy system. We help people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights. We are a national organization with robust grassroots programs in 12 states, and we are quickly expanding our on-the-ground work. We’re building an army of solar advocates and supporters by promoting solar through education, events, advocacy, and local solar installation bulk-purchase programs (aka solar co-ops).
Our organization is growing, and the work environment is fast-paced. This is an ideal workplace for someone looking to dive in and contribute to the growth of a dynamic non-profit. Since 2009 we’ve facilitated more than 5,200 individual solar installations and 42 MW of solar PV capacity. We work hard, get things done, and have fun doing it!
The Ohio Outreach and Education Coordinator is responsible for helping to develop and organize the Solar United Neighbors of Ohio network throughout the state to educate the community about solar rights, including the movement to push for better local and state homeowner association (HOA) solar policy. The Coordinator also will work with the Ohio team to educate the public about the benefits of rooftop solar and help homeowners and business owners throughout Ohio install solar through our solar co-ops.
Qualified applicants will have at least two years of relevant work or volunteer experience, strong understanding of effective grassroots organizing techniques, ability to develop relationships with community members and organizations, and strong motivation to help grow this program. Solar knowledge is not required, but prior experience will be favorably considered.
This position will be a 6-month contract beginning in March and ending in September, with the possibility of extension based on program needs and resources. This position will report to the Ohio Program Director. This is a part-time contract position.
Duties will include:
- Set up and conduct educational webinars (at least once per month).
- Conduct citizen grassroots activist training.
- Develop and promote educational outreach campaigns.
- Social media content generation and digital outreach.
- Conduct one-on-one (remote) meetings with Ohio residents.
- Help develop advocacy messaging and targeting.
- Engage solar industry businesses and advocacy organizations in the movement for improved HOA solar policy.
- List building
- Data collection and tracking.
- Create reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with the media to share stories, data, and reports.
- Regular participation in remote team meetings.
- Frequent travel around the state, when feasible.
- Other duties as necessary.
- Passionate about renewable energy and social justice
- Previous organizing experience (volunteer accepted)
- Attention to detail
- Self-starter and comfortable working in a remote team environment
- Love working with diverse groups of people
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) (familiarity with other digital tools or programming suites a plus)
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Previous knowledge of / experience with solar energy is a plus, but not required (on-the-job training is expected)
Ohio / remote at first, in-person when safe.
This is a grant-funded, temporary position. The salary for this position is $2,500 per month, part-time, 20 hours per week for an independent contractor. Solar United Neighbors will not contribute to Social Security, worker’s compensation, unemployment compensation or other similar employee funds and benefits on behalf of the contractor, and the contractor shall be responsible for, and agrees to comply with, obligations under federal and state tax laws for payment of income and, if applicable, self-employment tax.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Tristan Rader at [email protected] and include the title “Ohio Outreach and Education Coordinator” in the subject line.