Community Power Network seeks Communications Director
Community Power Network (including DC SUN, MD SUN, WV SUN and VA SUN) is seeking a mid-level communications professional looking for an opportunity to grow and make their mark, to becoming an integral part of our solar recruitment and advocacy team.
We are looking for someone with experience in designing communication plans and strategies, developing branding, promoting initiatives, designing campaigns, marketing strategies, developing email distribution lists, building Facebook and Twitter followers, issuing press releases, pitching stories, developing web content, and managing WordPress sites. We want someone who can professionalize and grow our communications work, work well in a fun and collaborative environment, and someone who will add rigor, intensity and creativity to our staff. We want someone who understands movement building and is also excited and energized by the opportunity to make a difference.
Ongoing duties include managing the communications flow of the organization, including multiple calendars, projects and issue areas. The Communications Manager will devise a long-term strategy for recruiting people to go solar and then building a relationship with those people through on-going communications such as newsletters, Facebook, listserves, direct mail and events. The Manager will also focus on building mailing lists and CPN’s Facebook and Twitter presence. This position will also provide quality control and oversight to website and online communications, and manage vendors, designers, and an advertising budget. You will participate in national partnerships and collaborations.
Specific tasks include:
- Bulk purchase (solar co-op) promotion support
- Manage institutional communications calendar for full cycle of more than ten active solar purchasing coops in MD, DC, VA and WV.
- Oversee a regular communications flow to participants including weekly emails, Facebook posts, updates on progress, and informational materials.
- Oversee communications materials and quality control for website and public meetings including handouts, FAQs, slide shows, and web materials. This includes coordinating and managing graphic designer. And working with program staff to produce content.
- Develop and implement external communications directly to citizens to recruit new participants to bulk purchase groups, including email blasts, viral marketing, Facebook posts, and earned and paid media.
- Work with community partners on branding, promotion and partnerships.
Promote events and outcomes, including political strategy to engage elected officials to participate in solar celebration events and get them to support solar because their constituents do.
- Develop outreach metrics for the organization and work with program staff to achieve those goals.
- General CPN organizational social media support
- Facebook, twitter, weekly e-blasts, and blog posts about ongoing work of CPN and state programs, in order to highlight our work and cross promote efforts across different state programs and platforms.
- Facebook, Twitter, weekly e-blasts, and blog posts about work of CPN member organizations.
- Work to make CPN more useful to its member groups.
- State network support
- Develop outreach and marketing plans for each new Coop.
- Help produce monthly email updates for each state network on important work that is happening in the state.
- Post updates on each state network’s news feed and listservs to highlight our ongoing work.
- Post to each state network’s Facebook and Twitter pages to build and engage readership.
- Gather and monitor news about CPN and other relevant content to post to listserves, websites, etc.
- Develop campaigns and strategies to build mailings lists
- Campaigns and partnerships
- Support communications design and structure for occasional advocacy campaigns, such as our current opposition to the Exelon Merger.
- Support national partnerships and networks on issues such as net metering, solar allies, and rural electric cooperatives.
Pay: Commensurate with Experience
Interested in applying? Please submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission is September 20, 2014.