CPN is seeking a highly motivated, creative and outgoing individual to manage our Virginia program VA SUN. You will be responsible for implementing a strategy that combines the deployment of solar energy projects, local grassroots organizing and policy reform in a cycle that creates a growing, equitable, significant and meaningful market for renewable energy in Virginia.
Candidate should have strong familiarity with solar energy and solar project finance, legislative campaigns, lobbying, organizing, communications and public outreach. Skills such as project finance, public speaking, research and writing, communications planning and implementation, website development, list building and list management and social media all important. Strong roots or background in Virginia a plus.
Please send cover letter and resume to Emily at [email protected] no later than Friday, March 14th.
The following is a detailed job description for the position.
VA-SUN Program Director
Job Description and Duties
Project Development (30%)
- Develop a series of targeted community-based initiatives that dramatically expand installed solar capacity, while engaging more solar citizens than ever before.
- Forge community partnerships with local non-profits, municipalities, community organizations, and homeowner groups.
- Oversee project implementation including, but not limited to, initial outreach, RFP development, contract negotiation, program launch, community and media outreach and marketing, installation, and celebration.
- Develop speaking and presentation opportunities to local, statewide, and national groups that will promote CPN and develop a future project pipeline.
- Use projects to educate, and engage a wide cross section of citizens on renewable energy.
- Develop and disseminate model projects in key areas that will push the envelope for who can reap the benefits of renewable energy such as low income projects, rural projects, community owned or community supported.
Political Grassroots Organizing, Educational Outreach and Public support, and Movement building (30%)
- Grow and moderate VA-SUN list-serve, social media, along with advocacy email list. Seed discussion with interesting political, technological, program, and financial updates that are useful for growing the solar base in Virginia.
- Engage solar citizens in advocacy campaigns to improve solar policy through email blasts, op-eds, phone-a-thons, and any other useful tactics.
- Use events, media, direct actions and other creative ideas to engage, educate and mobilize a broad cross section of citizens.
- Provide monthly email update to funders (short email).
Policy Development and Implementation (20%)
- Engage with, and where necessary lead, a coalition of citizen, environmental and renewable energy industry groups to develop and advocate for consensus policies that will expand access to renewable energy.
- In conjunction with state political partners, develop a grassroots outreach and lobbying strategy that demonstrates and harnesses broad citizen and business support for solar energy.
- Provide staff support for coalition work.
- Devise and research and/or commission studies that broaden legislative and public understanding of the benefits of distributed and community-based solar development.
- Research and write CPN position papers and comments for state Public Service Commission cases that affect solar energy deployment.
- Provide creative direction, develop, and maintain websites
- Track hours, invoicing, expense accounts, and VA SUN program budget.
- Track grants, report to funders, track and be responsible for reporting requirements and other documentation required by funders.
- Help fundraise for the program, and to expand and diversify the funding.
- Compile and evaluate monthly metrics on the program goals.
- Support broader CPN objectives, research projects and tool development.
- Provide support to CPN members when asked.
- Provide cross cutting support and collaborate with other CPN staff on projects or initiatives.