Bill & Julie
System size: 9.35 kW
Always thought solar panels would be “too expensive”. Lower installed cost sealed the decision.
Why did you decide to go solar?
- Indiana SB309 pushed us to go solar in 2017.
- Our concerns about cost and installers were answered through a local Solarize program.
- Always thought solar panels would be “too expensive”. Lower installed cost sealed the decision.
Did anything surprise you about going solar?
The state and county offices for “Deduction of Assessed Valuation” form (due to exemption of solar panels from property taxes) were clueless about solar panels for photoelectric power generation. Kept trying to suggest we were heating water or had a heat pump installed!!
Do you have any data about your solar system performance? What electricity savings have you seen since going solar?
- Produced 19.11 MWh since our installation went online in late 2017.
- Average electricity cost dropped from $130/month without panels to $41/month with solar panels. We have several months every year with just the cost to connect charge (about $9/month).
What advice would you give to someone considering going solar?
Read your covenants if in an HOA. Know your rights. Do not rely on HOA officers for information.
Anything else you’d like to add?
Tell your elected state officials to roll back SB309. Indiana needs more solar not more bonuses for electric company executives.