Value of Solar Additional Resources
Data summarizing the value of net metering
- Wellinghoff and Tong: A common confusion over net metering is undermining utilities and the grid – This article debunks the solar “cost shift” narrative.
- Op-ed: Not a Bright Idea – Column from Indiana that explains the value of protecting net metering.
- Reversing the Grid – A 99 Percent Invisible Podcast about net metering.
- Report: Natural Gas Prices and Utility Infrastructure Spending Have High Impact on Bills; Solar Negligible – This report highlights Edison Electric Institute’s role in spreading misinformation about the impact of solar on electricity customers.
State-specific value of solar resources
- Net metering in Mississippi – This study from Synapse Energy finds net metering to be a net benefit to consumers.
- New Hampshire solar: PUC lifts net metering limits – This article describes a decision from New Hampshire’s utility commission to remove caps on net metering.
- Nevada net energy metering impacts evaluation – A report sponsored by the Public Service Commission of Nevada finds the use of solar provides a net benefit to non-solar customers.
- Solar power generation in the US: Too expensive, or a bargain? – Study concludes the combined value of distributed solar generation to New York’s rate and taxpayers is an estimated 15 to 41 cents per kWh.
- Evaluation of net metering in Vermont conducted pursuant to Act 125 of 2012 – The Vermont legislature concludes net metered solar is a net benefit to all ratepayers.
- Solar energy in Michigan: The economic impact of distributed generation on non-solar customers – A whitepaper summary of close to 50 studies on the value of solar finds that the benefits of distributed solar generation systems exceed the retail cost of electricity and the value of solar in the majority of cases studied is greater than the compensation solar customers received under net metering programs.