Solar United Neighbors is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We are building a clean energy movement by helping people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
We operate on the ground in twelve state programs: DC, MD, VA, WV, MN, OH, FL, PA,TX, IN, CO, and AZ in addition to having a national presence.
At Solar United Neighbors, we believe that all of us have a stake in a future where every community participates in the financial benefits of our energy grid’s ongoing diversification from big central plants and passive consumers to a wider mix of distributed production & renewable energy.
SUN offers a fast-paced, dynamic, multi-faceted work environment, ideal for an intern who is looking to dive in and experience the workings of a growing, mission-driven non-profit organization. This is a remote internship with many opportunities to interact virtually with our staff members across the country.
About the position: Solar United Neighbors seeks a Communications Intern to support efforts in each of our twelve states and on a national scale.
The intern should be a confident, independent worker with a desire to take on big projects with a big potential for impact. The intern should be responsible and comfortable managing their own time and remote environment, with a focus on working smarter, not harder. They should have strong written and verbal communication skills. A marketing background is a plus but not required.
Assist the communications department with daily operations. Responsibilities may include:
- Create, send, and track the effectiveness of email campaigns
- Draft compelling copy for SUN’s website and microsites
- Research community calendars and post about local and online events
- Draft and distribute press releases
- Assist with pitching stories to media and scheduling interviews for state program directors
- Assist with ad hoc communications and marketing support projects
Preferred Skills and Experience:
● Interest in solar energy, energy freedom, and energy rights, or willingness to learn
● Interest in non-profit communications and marketing, including writing, media relations, and graphic
● Experience with typical marketing, design, and office platforms, or a willingness to learn:
- Microsoft Word
- Google Drive
- Facebook Pages, groups, ads manager
This position provides valuable skills and experience in non-profit marketing and communications. NOTE: This is a remote internship, so no in-office time will be required. The intern will work independently on projects as assigned, checking in regularly with the communications team via virtual meetings, Slack, and email. The intern should have their own laptop computer to work on during the internship with reliable access to the internet.
This remote internship is 10 hours per week starting late August-December, with the possibility of continuation through the winter if interested. College-level interns may obtain college credit for this internship. Work hours can be flexible to meet the intern’s schedule. Funds may be available for this internship. Please apply at https://www.solarunitedneighbors.org/internship-application/