Most rooftop solar systems should be covered as part of your standard homeowner’s insurance policy. This finding comes from a report by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). In some states, larger “Tier 2” systems (Tier 2 size varies by local rules) require additional liability coverage. Contact your insurance company before you install your system to let them know about the addition to your property. Ask:
- Will it affect the premium?
- In the event of damage, will solar system replacement costs exceed my current policy coverage limits?
- What deductible will the solar array fall under?
- Will any supplemental liability coverage be required due to system size?
- If your system is on the ground, does it require additional insurance?