Florida Gulf Coast Outreach Intern
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We are building a clean energy movement by helping people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
We run twelve programs: DC, MD, VA, WV, MN, OH, FL, TX, CO, IN, AZ and PA. Each state program promotes solar throughout its jurisdiction. The programs share three goals:
- Develop and scale solar energy projects within communities,
- Pass solar policies that expand the local solar market, and
- Build a community of clean energy advocates across political fault lines.
At Solar United Neighbors, we believe that all of us have a stake in a future where every community participates in the financial benefits of our energy grid’s ongoing diversification from big central plants and passive consumers to a wider mix of distributed production & renewable energy.
Our Florida team is driving a full paced program of rooftop solar adoption and solar co-o cohorts in 2021. This position is ideal for an intern looking to dive in and experience the workings of a dynamic and growing non-profit organization with an introduction to rooftop solar and community outreach.
About the position: Solar United Neighbors of Florida seeks an Outreach Intern to provide support for the Florida Gulf Coast Solar Co-ops in the Tampa Bay Region.
The internship goal is to expand awareness of Solar United Neighbors and rooftop solar generally, and the Greater Tampa and St Pete Solar Co-op specifically. We strive to reach more people and new populations in the community. Other goals are to contribute to your skills-bank and experience and connect you to organizations that may support your future career or interests. This is a fast paced, short-term project where you will work remotely with the Gulf Coast Program Coordinator, dedicated partners, neighborhood volunteers and SUN members to expand awareness of the Co-op program in Tampa Bay, FL.
The intern activities may include but are not limited to:
- Seek potential partners and outreach channels for our solar co-ops
- Research community calendars and post about SUN events
- Connect with solar constituency groups including homeowners and businesses
- Create engaging Facebook/listserv/social media/blog posts, emails for co-op promotion
- Support volunteers, provide outreach materials (flyers, yard signs, door hangers)
- Run call/text campaigns to recruit folks for event attendance
- Reach out to solar co-op participants to support them as they go solar
- Assist with ad hoc communications and support marketing projects
- Collect solar stories from solar co-op participants through video, photos, written word and/or site visits
- Attend virtual tabling events (meetings, webinars, club presentations) or other event engagement opportunities (Farmer’s markets, flyering)
- Monitor and develop educational materials about policy developments related to solar
- Assist with pitching stories to media
The intern will be invited to attend virtual educational presentations and will learn about rooftop solar PV. They will have the opportunity to participate in engagement training.
Candidates should be comfortable working with Microsoft office, social media, Google Drive platforms. Confidence and comfort speaking with homeowners and organization leaders welcome. We’re looking for an intern who is curious, organized, upbeat to bring fresh ideas or tried and true outreach success. Strong written and verbal communication skills are a huge plus. The intern should have their own laptop computer to work on throughout the internship and access to transportation if needed for outreach.
This is a paid 8-10 hour (flexible) per week internship intended for early to mid 2021 (February – June). This internship will be paid a stipend of $2,000 for the internship period. College-level interns may obtain college credit for this internship. At this time, all Solar United Neighbors internships are remote. We evaluate opportunities for community outreach with safety as a priority.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a statement of interest to: [email protected]. Please put “Florida Gulf Coast Intern” in the subject line.