Net Metering in Florida Action Toolkit
Utilities in Florida and around the nation are relentlessly trying to eliminate net metering for solar customers. Their goal is to limit the growth of rooftop solar and to maintain their monopoly by taking complete control of all solar energy sources. Ending net metering would strand millions of dollars invested in solar energy and discourage further solar growth and development in the Sunshine State. Floridians overwhelmingly support net metering because it benefits everyone. Don’t let monopoly utilities take our energy freedom.
- What is the state of solar in Florida? Learn more here.
- What is Net Metering? Net metering is the policy that enables you to be compensated for your solar electricity production, allowing you to offset your electric bill with that production. Learn more here.
- Why does Net Metering matter? Net Metering is the bedrock of equitable solar policy. Learn more here.
- What is the opposition’s argument? Monopoly electric utilities falsely claim that rooftop solar owners create extra costs for non-solar customers. They describe this using the term “cost-shift”. In reality, the adoption of rooftop solar benefits everyone. This is true whether they have solar or not. Learn more about the myth of the cost-shift here.
What has happened so far?
Tallahassee lawmakers by overwhelming margins passed HB 741 and SB 1024 during the 2022 Florida Legislative Session that would have eliminated net metering. It was revealed that these anti-net metering bills were written by FPL, the largest monopoly utility in Florida, and introduced by Rep. McClure and Sen. Bradley, who both received FPL campaign donations around the time of the bill introductions. Despite FPL’s political influence over legislators and efforts to undermine democratic elections, a network of solar advocates were able to successfully fight for their energy freedom and WON! Siding with consumers, Governor DeSantis vetoed HB 741 based on the unduly burden of energy bills on everyday Floridians.
We expect this bill to return in the next legislative session and are already building on our successes and lessons learned to have a more robust campaign moving forward. Join us to help protect solar throughout Sunshine State.
What can you do?
- Join the Net Metering Task Force
- Spread the word | Use this toolkit for sample language to share on social media, NextDoor, etc. (Social Media Graphic)
- Meet with your legislator | Our Solar Advocate Citizen Lobbying Guide walks you through how to set this up. Connect with us to help prep you for your meeting.
- Write a Letter to the Editor or Op-Ed | Connect with us for support on this and use this outline to help get you started.
- Net metering one-pager to guide your talking points
- Sign a petition | Check out our website for the most up-to-date actions you can take.
- Learn how to testify | Read through this guide to learn how to testify about issues.
- Be a part of the conversation | Sign up for the Florida listserv and/or the private Florida Facebook group.
- Follow SUN on Social Media Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Do you have other ideas or need more support?
Reach out to our team at FLteam@solarunitedneighbors.org
- The State of Rooftop Solar in FL Report
- Learn more about Net Metering
- People’s Utility Playbook
- Solar Advocate Citizen Lobbying Guide
- Net Metering One Pager
- How does Net Metering Work? English and Spanish (SUN)
- Net Metering Town Hall | Video