Sunnyside Energy Community Solar
Houston residents, businesses and non-profits in CenterPoint territory have an opportunity to benefit from clean, renewable power. Solar United Neighbors is proud to support the Sunnyside Energy Community Solar project. Sunnyside Energy is in the process of developing a solar array that will allow subscribers to own or lease a share of the system.
Signing up isn’t a binding commitment to join this project. It just lets us keep you updated on our progress! See below for more details.
What is Sunnyside Energy Community Solar?
- Is your home or business shaded by too many trees for solar?
- Do you rent in CenterPoint territory?
- Has your church, independent school, or non-profit longed to be powered by the sun, but without the federal tax incentive, couldn’t justify the investment?
- Have you been unable to make the upfront investment into a full-sized solar array?
- Do you want the flexibility to take your solar with you if you move to a new neighborhood?
- Are you a Sunnyside resident who is paying too much for electricity but haven’t been able to effectively switch to a more cost-effective plan?
Sunnyside Energy community solar is the solution. We are bringing together people and organizations who want to participate in what will be one of the largest in-city solar arrays in Texas. The City of Houston awarded the Sunnyside Energy team an opportunity to develop former landfill in Sunnyside for solar. They will create a vibrant solar farm.
How will the Sunnyside Energy project work?
about community solar: Attend an information session, visit our website.
|2 SIGN UP|
on-line to participate: Subscriptions, power purchase offerings, and discounted power will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
|3 GROW PARTICIPATION
Tell your friends and neighbors! There is no fee to sign up, and no obligation to purchase.
in one of three ways: Once we have sufficient future subscribers/owners and “off-takers”, we will confirm final details.
|- SUBSCRIBERS/OWNERS: Subscription cost to purchase solar panels in the array (credits from the energy produced will show up on your electric bill). Subscription reservation fee required.
- OFF-TAKERS: Businesses, non-profits sign a Power Purchase Agreement to purchase their power from the Sunnyside array at a slight discount.
- DISCOUNTED POWER: For qualifying residents of Sunnyside who want to switch to a lower cost electricity plan.
After the former landfill is fully remediated and the large-scale solar array permitted, construction will begin.
|6 START SAVING|
When operational, credits and savings will begin to show up on your monthly electricity bills.
Meet your fellow solar neighbors and celebrate your successes.
How much will it cost?
Estimated Subscription Price: $2.50/Watt for 1000 Watts/subscription plus $100 share reservation fee
Estimated Off-Taker Credit: $0.11/kWh; Discount 10-15%
Discount Electricity Plan: $0.109/kWh
* Pricing still being determined and is subject to change
Where we are in the process?
What we’ve done so far
- Launch Sunnyside Energy Community Solar (8/29/2019)
- Set up the Sunnyside Energy Trust (1/1/2020)
- Finalizing details and securing sufficient subscribers/owners and off-takers
- Securing permits
Check back for updates!
Can’t make an information session?
Learn more about the full Sunnyside Energy project here: